Friday, May 2, 2008

Small beginnings........

May 2nd, 2008
This is a new venture for me. I have resisted it, but here I am :)
I feel God has called me at this time to write and this is the means I am to take.
I'm a bit nervous....this 52 year old adventuress is a bit rusty in the technology arena.
Today is Friday. I love Fridays. It's the end of the work week and the beginning of the weekend race. Only if you are a ministers wife will you fully understand the meaning of that.
It's been a good week, just intense.
This morning I have been to the Wellness Center and completed my 45 minute exercise routine. Kevin is trying a new exercise venture at the Health Club instead of at the Wellness Center. So, I am going it alone. I don't mind. I am comfortable where I am. Kevin is more the exerciser adventure seeker of the two of us.
I grabbed breakfast at McDonalds while waiting for Kevin to get out of the Health Club. We are a one van family. Isn't it just 'reality' that McDonalds is located right BESIDE the Health Club. Uh huh, I think so, too.
I had the newspaper with me and checked for garage sales. Hoping.....
There was only one listed for today and it wasn't what I was looking for. I do have my standards ;)
So, homeward we came and I sent out Snacking On The Word, read letters in my email box and also did some internet shopping for me some new tennis shoes.
This is always an adventure. Buying tennis shoes that look OK and feel real good, now that is a challenge. I have wide feet and I have feet that hurt often. My current pair of tennis shoes look like I picked them off a trash heap. I thought they would last me another month or so as I continued on looking for just the right pair of new tennis shoes. Well, that worked fine until the dog had an upset stomach and barfed on my shoes. I tried wiping them off, but when barf seeps in, wiping off just isn't workable. So, into the washing machine they went.
I tumbled them through the dryer and at least they came out in one piece. They are tattered and the sponge (did YOU know sponge was inside your tennis shoe fabric????) is showing through on both of them now. Sad.
I have other shoes. I am not destitute. But these are my prime pair.
So, into the internet catalog of Woman Within I went and ordered me a pair of tennis shoes, White, Wide, Size 9. Big RED letters pop up....." BACK ORDER" :(
So, with Kevins' urgings, I ordered a second pair in a Blue color. Those are 'in stock'. Good. Now the wait until UPS brings them to my door. Until then, the ratty tatty ones will have to do. A lesson in humility and patience.
We have a bunch of church folks who are sick or injured right now. Yesterday I cooked the biggest bowl of goulash I have ever made. One of our little mama's fell down some stairs yesterday and hurt her foot. She has six children. I am a mother of five (often adding in foster children) and tho' it has been a few years since our house held them all, I do vividly remember how it was when the mama of our house went down.
With Sarahs' help, I fixed this huge bowl of goulash, bought some potato rolls and made a big pan of brownies to give to this family.
Another of our little church mamas broke her toe this past Wednesday. Her family consists of just her and her husband and her little guy, so I scooped some of the goulash into a small container for her and sent a few of the rolls and some jello salad that I had made for us, to them.
I like cooking and I really like baking and since none in our house should eat the baking, I like to give it away.
I am still reminissing over our ladies retreat of last weekend. THAT was great! The speaker from Nebraska, Neva Cooper gave me such insight on Matthew 5-7. I have felt like a cow chewing and re chewing her cud. Nice.
I also enjoyed the video we watched this past Wednesday. It was called: DUST. Took me awhile to get the point of the video. The end of the matter was this, If I FOLLOW the Rabbi (Jesus), then HIS dust (from following him) will be all over me. The blessing at the end of the video was, "May the Rabbi's dust be upon you".
I like that. I want to be covered in my Rabbi's dust. I want to follow him so closely that I am baptized in it. Being menopausal, I will end up being a mud puddle (tears plus dust equal mud)....emotions create tears very often these days.
I don't mind. Those tears along with the hot flashes let me know that I am beginning yet another season of life. It's good.
As long as I can live, walking behind my Rabbi, my Master and being His Dust (mud) Bunny...I am content.

4 comments:

Kevin Bentch, PhD said...

That is a great posting Joy! Excellent - thought provoking - and of course humorous.

Thanks for learning a new thing!

Blessings!
Yours,
Kevin

The Greers said...

Hello Joyce,
Hope you have a beautiful week! Thanks for sharing your day. Keep up the good work with the exercise... press on to the goal! I'll check back now and again.

steinkebunch said...

I wanted to encourage you to keep up the good wok. I always enjoy getting to share in your life and getting to know you better by sharing in your thoughts and being encouraged by you as well. You need to check out: www.AnitaRenfroe.com. another preacher's wife trying something new and bringing others closer to God.
Love you,
Katrina

Roxine said...

Congratulations Joyce!!
You are on your way to encourage others.I immediately put your blog in my favorites. That you are! I am praying that you may prosper in every way and (that your body)may keep well, even a (I know) your soul keeps well and prospers.
(IIIJohn 2.)