Saturday, May 17, 2008

Seek And You Will Find.....

Ah....Saturdays in the spring and summer and fall. Days of SEEKING and FINDING. It's garage sale season, don't you know?

Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."

I have a strange way of shopping. I learned it from my little sister in the faith, Leslie Lazenby. When I enter a garage sale (or store), you might notice that I am talking to God. I often talk outloud, and forget I am doing so. This has brought raised eyebrows from the other shoppers. Oh, I don't really care...I'm on a mission.

Before each garage sale season, I make a list (which continues throughout the year) of items I ask the Lord to direct me to. I make a list because if I don't, I come home with items that I don't need and really don't want--they just look pretty :)

Here is a confession: I purchase alot of the gifts for family and friends at garage sales. Recently, I have purchased sixteen childrens videos for my grandchildren. My daughter, Jessica lives in Virginia and is expecting baby #4. Her other children are 3,2, and 1 years old. She has her hands nicely full. God gave me the most wonderful idea. What if I could send the Virginia grand kids one video a week until the baby is born, end of October? That would be something they could look forward to coming in the mail AND maybe it would help the little mama as it kept them occupied for awhile.

So, at each garage sale I ask the Lord to show me videos for sale that would fit my garage saling budget and be appropriate for my grandchildrens viewing pleasure. HE is so faithful! Why am I surprised. Well, I'm not really surprised....just in 'breath intaking' awe at God's provision in His creativity in this great idea He gave me and the wonder if it all.

Seek and YOU will find. Yes, today I sought. Today, I found!

The scripture that follows Matthew 7:7 tell the 'rest of the story'.....starting in verse 9...."Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or, if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil know how to give good gifts to your children (and grand children), how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" (Matthew 7:9-11).

That's what I love about my Father, Papa God. God loves to give good gifts to us His children. I love to give good gifts to my children...and grandchildren. All I have to do is ASK and watch and listen.....and find.

Thank you Papa, God for garage sales with SEEKING and FINDING.

No comments: