Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day 2008

It is said that besides Christmas, Mothers Day is the number one 'best seller' at stores. Mothers Day used to not mean a great deal to me, but as I get older 'times' have changed :)

Today is Mothers Day. For me, it has been Mothers Week :)

I got the cuckoo clock from Kevin (refer to previous blog) and he bought me a beautiful watch. The watch 'band' is more like a half inch wide bangel and the design is butterflies (one of my favorite things--thank you Sound of Music). He also bought me a big potted flowering plant--in a deep rose color. HE will take care of it because I want it to live. Plants and I do not get along well. This morning, I got a beautiful card from him, with a self written poem inside. Nice.

Sarah bought me a beautiful corsage and pinned it on me at church this morning (she also asked off work so she could be with me at church). Yesterday, while I was out garage saling (also called carport sale) the local florist delivery person came to our home, seeing we were not home, she walked into our house and left two vases of flowers on our kitchen bar :) We live in a small town :)

The vase that was for me was from Jessica and Rachel, way over in Virginia. The vase was filled with red tulips (my favorite flower) and purple irises (my second favorite flower). The other vase was for 'first time mother', Sarah, and was filled with yellow daisys--both very beautiful.

This morning at church (we have a table in the back of the auditorium for gifts for one another) was two cards and a small gift from friends.

I spent two days this week making little gifts for our mothers at church. I took a metal whisk, filled it with Hersheys chocolate Hugs and Kisses, wrapped the whisk in tissue paper and tied it with a silver ribbon. On the card, which I attatched with hand made pretties, read, "Whisking you a Happy Mothers Day filled with Hugs and Kisses". It was fun to hand them out to each mother as they entered the building and wish them a Happy Mothers Day. From two of the men I heard, "I can't wait for Fathers Day", so I will begin researching NOW a craft I can do for the men next month:)

I also got two phone calls. One from Jessica and one from Israel. Jessica was first--early this morning before we headed to the church building. She and Jason were 'out' celebrating their fifth wedding anniversary for the weekend. I've enjoyed thinking of them both, knowing they were focusing on each other and getting a rest from my three wonderful (and perfect;) Virginia grandchildren.

Israel called this afternoon. We talked for over an hour. We don't usually talk on the phone, so this was a really nice treat. We talked about so many things going on in our lives. Brought back alot of old memories of years gone by when he was a little boy, living at home and long talks we had 'way back when'.

Kevin took Sarah and I out to a Chinese Restaurant for lunch today. Another treat. No cooking and no cleaning. Nice!

We came home and I took a long, restful nap. That's the way to spend a Sunday afternoon. It should be mandatory. It's especially appropriate for Mothers Day.

In a little while we will return to the church building to meet once again with our fellow believers. Kevin is preaching tonight--I don't know what about, but I KNOW it will be good and something I can 'chew on' the rest of the week.

It's been a good Mothers Day. Time for reflection of the many blessings being a mother. No higher calling and just the career I wanted. I live in a good season now. The stresses of being responsible for little ones has past. Grandmotherhood is fabulous! I can go to the bathroom without little hands poking out from under the door and hearing repeated "mama's" until I am finished.

I am fifty two years old. In July I turn 53. I am over half done with my life on this earth. For me, I feel relief in that. Tho I have been abundantly blessed and am enjoying the trip......my heart longs for 'home'. I will walk out each day that the Lord has planned for me......running the race set before me........but don't be fooled......I won't be sad to sit down at the end of my earth journey and receive my Sabbath rest. When that day comes...don't grieve for ME! I won't be hurting any more. I, my dear ones, will be dancing without pain on those heavenly streets. I will never get tired....I shall laugh loudly and not get belly cramps :)

You can be sad for yourselves. I know you will miss me :)

Have your grieving. It's a good gift from God. But don't linger there too long. Get on with life. It is meant to be lived and lived in abundance--whatever way the Lord leads you. Listen to His voice and go HIS path. It's the best way there is.

Happy Mothers Day to me.

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Joyce,
Indeed, Happy Mother's Day to you. I enjoy reading you blogs. Hope you are physically doing better, soon. Praying that the pain will ease.
Love,
Autumn