Sunday, February 8, 2009

He Suffered But Opened NOT His Mouth

It's Sunday. The first day of the week. A blessed day of the Lord....and I am weary, I am tired. When I woke this morning, my first thought was, "what day is it?". When I realized it was Sunday, my spirit groaned. Being a ministers wife, Sunday is very much a 'work' day. I have to polish myself up...you know, take a shower, do my hair, put on make up, wear 'look good' clothes and on and on. Then, I MUST smile and smile and smile, setting a good example for the congregation.

These things should not be a burden, but many times they FEEL like burdens that make me weary. I am uncomfortable in the church pews. They make my back hurt worse. So, I take a pain pill before heading out for church.

All of this, I laid at the foot of the cross this morning. How God must sigh when he hears me or sees me feeling as I do. Jesus gave his life on the cross......and I'm griping because I have to sit in a church pew. That's some comparison!

How many times will I hear this morning after I say, "hello, how are you?" to my fellow believers, "I'm tired". Yeah, I feel the same way. Yes, I reckon that Jesus was pretty tired the day he went to Calvary. He had been up all night being whipped and degraded and then he was nailed to a cross. I doubt that Jesus thought, "I'm just too tired to be on the cross today". I'm glad he did what he did for me.

Has anyone else noticed that we have a generation of tired teenagers and twenty year olds? Go ahead. I dare you to ask around today and see how many of them respond with 'I'm tired" when you ask how they are.

When I was young I never thought I was tired. I could stay up most of the night and get up at six in the morning and still feel good. When I was actually, really tired, I would never have admitted it......that would have been weak.

So, I have pondered lately, why is this the most popular statement of the young in 2009? The only thing I can come up with is that they do not want any responsibility. Why else would you tell everyone you knew that you were tired? Do todays youth even know what it is like to feel really tired????? I doubt it. I doubt that I do either.

Oh Lord, God, change my heart. Make my heart pure. Let me be more like you, who suffered and did not open your mouth.

1 comment:

Jessi Dawn said...

Mom,

as a busy mom to four, I understand what it means to be tired. And, I get your aggravation with the young/single/no children yet couples who tend to always be "tired", too. I try hard to not scoff when they moan "I'm tired..." I think, "tired? come one, I'M TIRED!"

I think everyone has their own comparison of what it means to be "tired". Also, I think some people say that so others will feel sorry for them. Just a thought. I do say that when people ask me at church how I'm doing. I do not want to say "stressed out" or "overwhelmed" or "wish I could sleep all day". Instead, I simply shrug my shoulders and say "Well, I'm good. Tired."

Love you,
Jess