Thursday, July 24, 2008

This Old House

A few days ago I received a photo through email from my mother in law. She had been to Texas on a visit and went back to the town we lived in where our daughter, Rachel was born. She took a picture of Rachels first home.

This house sits upon many, many acres of land. There is a barn where we stored unused items and behind the barn was our chicken pen. Over the hill was a small cabin where hunters stayed during deer season.

It was a beautiful place.

Since receiving the picture from my mother in law, I have stared and stared at our old house. It hasn't been lived in for quite awhile. The outside paint is peeling; the screen door is torn and hanging slightly crooked; if the porch and sidewalk are there, you can't see them for the tall weeds in the front yard. We notice a window unit AC that wasn't there when we were.

We lived there during the hottest Texas summer in 100 years--without AC. We had one box fan and I was pregnant.

As I've pondered on that precious old house, I remember the story that Jesus told about two houses. One was built on a firm foundation--a rock. The storms came and beat upon that house and it stood firm. The other house was built on sand. Sand shifts and changes. The storms came and beat upon that house and it fell. Jesus says, "and great was the fall of it".

How am I doing building 'my' house? Is my life firmly planted on the rock, Jesus? When the storms of life beat upon me; when the winds of change knock me off my feet; and hail comes....am I standing firm because I am built up on the rock?

Or, is my house built upon the sand? Am I living my life trying to conform myself to this world...where fashions change EACH season; price of gasoline changes each day? Am I like that? How great will be my fall?

No, I am built upon the rock. When I am battered about by my enemies, I close my eyes in prayer and find my center, my firm rock--Jesus. Tho all turn against me....my Master holds me fast. When I am accused falsly, I run to the Truth.

I am glad that I learned to follow Jesus early in my life. I've been on the rock for43 years. Jesus updates me, repaints me, redecorates my interior (heart) and I am firmly established.

No comments: