Saturday, January 24, 2009

President Obama Stirs Me To Post

This is one of those events in my life where I am surprised at myself. Several years ago as a resident of Illinois, my attention was drawn to a 'young' black man that was running for the Senate. I listened to him speak and tho there were topics that we did not agree on, still he drew me to himself and encouraged my spirit.

Now, this 'young' man is president of my country. I live in Wyoming, far away from the hustle and bustle of the Chicago area where I once lived and where Senator Obama reigned.

I watched, with that same draw this past Tuesday during the swearing in. I wasn't at home. I was at WalMart....and all the TV's blared out the words that were promised by our new president.

I was very interested. I wanted to see this historic event. I have two bi racial children, whose coloring is much like President Obama's.

I know most of my fellow Christians disdain him. I've heard them, loud and clear. I always wonder how God feels about what they say and so loudly proclaim both in public and in private.

I've been quiet about my voting this time. My husband knows who I voted for and my children know. Other than that, it was a private time between my God and I and my country.

As I watched the swearing in, I feared that my intense interest might draw attention from fellow Wyomingites who for the most part are anti Obama folks. Then, I chided myself for my lack of courage. I am an American Citizen who SHOULD be watching the inauguration of our new president.

Do I have fears about him being president? Yes, I do. I vote Independant, but usually Republican. I vote for who I believe will be the one that possess the most integrity, honesty, hard working, God fearing man.

I am not always proven correct by the end of the term. I pray about my decision but once the president has been decided, I am by scripture, commanded to respect and honor and obey him.

I haven't seen this from my fellow Christians lately. I am embarrassed by the words I have heard out of their mouths. It makes me all the more determined that I will NOT speak evil against the one that God has put into office, even if I do not agree, even if he does ungodly things. I was remembering today that when we, as Christians were commanded to 'honor the emperor'...just who that emperor was and what HE stood for. Shudder!

Oh God, make me an instrument of your peace, Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen!

2 comments:

The Ketch's Story said...

We too are caught in the middle of supporting our new President (who ,yes, this once republican family voted for- and note that we would support whomever ended up in the oval office anyways)
and being chided by those who show even hate at times for our President.
At the very least, the utter lack of giving someone a chance to prove themselves is quite unfair.
Any President will make choices that are unpopular to some, but in the end he is our leader now, and he and our government must wrestle this country from the depths it now resides. God Bless our country and our leaders. We also pray for those who cannot show some restraint in both their public comments and private quick judgement.
-Rick and Lisa K., Henderson NV

Rachel said...

Mom,

I really appreciate your blog about our new president. I completely agree with the fact that we need to remember that God has put this man in this place of power, so we are commanded to respect and honor him.

I admire how you can share your opinions. You are such a talented writer. I'm still waiting to read your book. ha

Love you!
Rachel